Collaborate with journalists and build relationships for maximum exposure
A one-day course covering core concepts and techniques for securing strong media coverage
This course covers the key concepts and techniques that effective PR professionals use to get stories covered positively and prominently in print, broadcast and online media. You will learn to engage with diverse types of media, understand journalist psychology, judge news values, and refine your pitching skills in role-plays with real journalists. Download a full course prospectus.
A highlight of this course is the opportunity to develop practical news story ideas with coaching from a veteran PR expert, and then practice selling in your story to a real journalist in a news-pitching simulation workshop. This course comprises four modules each covering a set of key concepts and skills. Within each module, best practice and key concepts are covered off in a concise briefing, followed by a range of stimulating learning activities like team workshops, group discussions, topical case studies and role-play exercises.
1) Mapping your media landscape 2) Understanding and working with journalists 3) Building news judgment to maximise coverage 4) Pitching your stories to engage the media
After this course, you will:
- Understand how the media are organised, and how journalists think and work.
- Develop an instinct for the kind of ideas that will generate news effectively.
- Know how and when to approach journalists with news, and feel confident engaging with them.
- Return to work able to generate greater news value for your stories, and secure more positive and prominent coverage for them.
Who should attend
Core-level courses are pitched at a level to help you analyse core concepts and execute universal skills. This course is ideal for anyone who wants to generate more media positive and effective coverage for their organisation.
This course provides Advanced Professional Qualification credit, independently accredited by Edexcel. For details, download the course brochure.
Made us think about types of PR that we don’t usually consider, especially news stories and stunts. - Rebecca Lewis, Hachette High quality information, dynamic delivery style, top tips from real life. - Lorenzo Casarosa, Royal Institution of Naval Architects The content was great – we covered lots of ground but with time to go into depth in some areas. Lin Osman, Treehouse - There was a feel-at-home atmosphere where you can ask open questions and share information Vilma Biba, Telecommunications Regulatory Authority - The course gave me great ideas and tips on how to pitch stories exactly the way I want Jon Weir, Hachette